Outside of business hours, please report Priority One animal issues to the Grand Island Emergency Center at 308-384-9380 to have them dispatch an Animal Control Officer. Priority One calls include animal bites, sick/injured animals, animal cruelty, and confined strays. 

Adoption/Volunteer Hours
11:00am - 5:00pm M, T, Th, Fri
11:00am - 4:00pm Sat
1:00pm - 4:00pm Sun

All Other Business
8:00am - 5:30pm M-F
8:00am - 4:30pm Sat
1:00pm - 4:30pm Sun

We provide and house the Animal Control Authority for Grand Island animal abuse and neglect complaints investigation.

VIEW: Grand Island City Code

Where is Animal Control located?

Animal Control is housed within the Central Nebraska Humane Society at 1312 Sky Park Road.

What are the hours of operation?

Animal Control Officers are on routine patrol during shelter business hours, and there is also an Officer that is on on-call duty after hours to respond to emergency calls such as injured domestic animals, aggressive animals,  and bites.

The office, (located at 1312 Sky Park Road) is open from 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Saturday, and 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m Sunday.  The office is closed on all Holidays.  You can call the office during the hours noted for general information, license questions, to report lost and found animals, changes in address or ownership, or assistance.

Phone 308-385-5305

What services do you provide?

We regulate domestic animals running at large, we investigate bites and attacks by aggressive animals, investigate reports of animal nuisance and cruelty, pick up stray , rescue injured animals, pick up deceased animals, keep records of lost/found cats and dogs, enforce city ordinances, remove wildlife, give animal information and referrals, and promote responsible pet ownership through education.

 How do I file a complaint?

To have an Animal Control Officer respond to a complaint, call the office at 308-385-5305.  A dispatcher will dispatch an officer to investigate your complaint.  If the Officer sees a violation when he/she arrives, appropriate action will be taken.  The officer will advise you of what action is most appropriate.  Officers cannot take legal action unless they witness the violation.  If you see something that is cruelty or neglect or a nuisance please call.

 How you can help us resolve difficult problems when an officer does not observe a violation?

If you provide good photographic evidence which shows a dog running at large for example, an Animal Control Officer may be able to issue a citation based on such evidence. If still pictures are taken, the photos should have the date, time, location, address of the animal owner, and name of the owner, if known on the back of the photo plus who took the photo. Videos need to have the date and time shown on the tape and attached paper explaining what is being shown, the location, address of the animal owner, and name of owner if known. In case of a dog at large, the photographic evidence should clearly show the animal off the owner’s property.

 Who do I call if I am missing my animal?

Go to the Central Nebraska Humane Society or call 308-385-5305. We will try to determine if an animal fitting the description of your animal was picked up and impounded. Please be mindful that it is very difficult to identify animals due to discrepancies and variations in descriptions. The best way to ensure the safe return of your lost animal is to have a city pet license, a Rabies tag attached to their collar or have your pet microchipped, and to visit the Humane Society regularly to see if your animal is there and to fill out a lost report.

 In most cases, animals wearing tags can be returned to the owner instead of being impounded. If no one is home, the officer will leave a note on the door advising that the animal was picked up. If the officer is unable to access the pet tag information immediately and cannot leave a note, the owner will be notified by telephone as soon as the information is obtained. If the animal is wearing tags, the owner will be notified within twenty-four (24) hours. Please remember, animals will sometimes lose their tags or have them removed by someone. Even if your animal leaves home wearing a collar and tags, there is always a chance the collar may not be on when the animal is picked up.

 Impounded animals are held for three days when picked up. You should also contact the Central Nebraska Humane Society at 308-385-5305, they take in all strays that have been found by citizens and brought in by Animal Control.  

 What does it cost to reclaim an animal?

The impoundment fee to reclaim an animal is $75.00 for the first impoundment, 2nd $125.00, 3rd $175.00.

We encourage pet owners to pick up their pets to purchase of $15.00 microchip.  Cash and credit cards are accepted for impoundment fees.

 What are the rules on animals running loose?

  • 5-34. Running at Large; Restraint Required (City Code)

               It shall be unlawful for any owner to suffer or permit any dog or other animal to run at large within the corporate limits of the City of Grand Island. “Running at Large” shall mean any dog or other animal off the premises of the owner and not under the immediate control of a person physically capable of restraining the animal by holding a leash, cord, chain, rope, cage or  other suitable means of physical restraint or if the animal is out of doors on the premises of the owner, the animal shall be in an adequate fenced in area or securely fastened to a leash, chain, or trolley system that is of a size and weight appropriate to the size, weight and temperament of the animal to prevent the animal from leaving the owner’s premises. It shall be the duty of the Animal Control Authority or other appropriate city law enforcement officer to impound any animal found running at large within the City of Grand Island. Every dog found running at large in violation of this or any other section of the Grand Island City Code is declared to be a public nuisance and may be impounded as the discretion of the Animal Control Authority or other appropriate city law enforcement officer.

 When do animals need licenses and where can I get one?

All dogs, cats, and ferrets over the age of 3 months need a rabies vaccination and only dogs and cats need city pet license at 6 months of age. The rabies vaccination is given by your veterinarian. City tags may be purchased at the Capital Humane Society, and Animal Control. To purchase a city tag, you must present proof of valid rabies vaccination. If the animal has been spayed or neutered, you must also present written proof in order to get the tag at a reduced rate. For license fees call 308-385-5305.

 Anyone bringing a dog or cat into the city has 30 days to purchase a city pet license if they intend to keep the animal in the city for more than 30 days.

Most veterinarians in Grand Island sell pet licenses.  You can also purchase at the Humane Society.

How many animals can I own?

No residential property shall have more than four dogs and/or cats over three months of age.

Can I have a pot-bellied pig for a pet and what animals are illegal to own?

No swine of any kind are allowed in the city limits.  Wildlife is prohibited as well unless it is on the approved list and you have the required wild animal license.

 I have been bitten by an animal – what should I do?

All animal bites are to be reported. If you or any family member are bitten, call Animal Control at 308-385-5305 immediately.  Or if it is after normal business hours call the Police Department of the Sheriff Department non-emergency numbers

 There can be a public health risk within any animal bite. Any animal that bites someone must be placed in quarantine for a 10-day period and cannot be removed from the city unless permission is granted by Animal Control during this period. An Animal Control Officer will respond to complete the paperwork. If medical treatment is required, the doctor or hospital providing the treatment should report the incident. Every attempt should be made to identify the animal so the owner can be contacted and the necessary paperwork completed. If a wild animal is involved and cannot be located, you will be advised by Animal Control to determine what treatment is necessary.

 My animal bit someone what should I do?

The bite should be reported by calling Animal Control at 308-385-5305 during regular business hours or the Police Department of Sherriff Department.

 The animal must be placed in quarantine for a period of 10 days. This quarantine is required even if the animal has been vaccinated for rabies. You may be able to keep the animal at your home under certain circumstances and if the license and rabies vaccination are current. If you don’t have a current license or a current rabies vaccination, you can either board the animal at a veterinarian’s office or have it quarantined at the Humane Society. Boarding fees at veterinarians vary and are the responsibility of the animal owner. The fee for boarding an animal at the Humane Society is $20.00 per day and is also the responsibility of the animal owner. After the bite report is completed, Animal Control will follow-up on the observation and release the animal from quarantine at the end of the quarantine period.  If your animal bites it does not mean that it will be euthanized, you can use the experience as a learning experience of how your animal reacts to certain situations and people.  This knowledge will prevent a bite from happening again.

 What is Distemper and what do I need to know about it?

Distemper is a virus commonly found in raccoons and is the number one cause of natural death in raccoons. Raccoons that have distemper can be commonly mistaken for having the rabies virus. A blood test is needed for positive diagnoses.

 The most noticeable symptoms of the distemper virus are the last to set in. Neurological problems will occur when the disease process is coming to an end and causes the raccoon to come out of hiding and in the middle of the day. Raccoons at this phase of the virus have seizures that affect the entire body, are more aggressive, and will attack without being provoked. In the early stages of distemper, raccoons will have a mucous-like discharge coming from their mouths, eyes, and noses.

 The distemper virus cannot be transmitted from animals to humans however it can be easily transmitted from animal to animal. There a large number of raccoons that reside in the city and are often reported to Animal Control with the virus.

 Pet owners are encouraged to have their dogs and cats vaccinated to prevent the possibility of them contracting the distemper virus.

 If you are uncertain about your pet’s vaccination status and/or if you have questions about your pet’s health call your veterinarian.

 What are the liabilities concerning property damage or personal injury and my pet?

Any property damage or personal injury caused by an animal is the responsibility of the owner of the animal causing the damage or injury per state statute. There is an ordinance relating to property damage or injury to another animal. However, there is no ordinance relating to personal injury or medical cost. Your options for recovery of personal injury expenses are homeowners or health insurance coverage, small claim court because recovery of medical cost is a civil matter or a personal attorney.

What constitutes a barking dog?

City Code

  • 5-38. Animal Noise

               (A)  No owner shall allow conditions to exist on said owner’s property whereby the owner’s animal or animals annoy or disturb any neighborhood or any person by loud, continuous, or frequent barking, howling, yelping, or crowing.      

                (B)  Owners will be subject to fine pursuant to §1-7 of this code, or Nuisance Owner declaration pursuant to §5-46 at the discretion of the Animal Control Authority or other law enforcement personnel.

What constitutes “cruelty to an animal?

City Code §5-22.  Cruelty to Animals Prohibited

               (A)  No person shall beat, cruelly mistreat, torment, tease, torture, cruelly neglect, or otherwise abuse any animal.

                (B)  No person shall cause, instigate, or permit any fight or other combat between animals, or between animals and humans.

                (C) No person shall cause, place or confine an animal or allow an animal to be confined in a dwelling, motor vehicle or trailer under such conditions or for such periods of time as to endanger the health or well-being of the animal including, but not limited to, extremes of heat or cold, lack of food or water, or any other circumstance which may cause suffering, disability, injury or death.

 If you see abuse please call 308-385-5305

What constitutes a “potentially dangerous” dog and a “dangerous dog?”

Definition of a Potentially Dangerous dog:

Potentially Dangerous Animal.  (a) Any animal that when unprovoked:

 (i)             inflicts an injury on a human being that does not require medical treatment; or

 (ii)            injures a domestic animal; or

 (iii)          chases or approaches a person upon streets, sidewalks, or any public grounds in a menacing fashion or apparent attitude of attack; or

 (b)  any specific animal with a known propensity, tendency, or disposition to attack when unprovoked, to cause injury, or to threaten the safety of humans or domestic animals.

Definition of a Dangerous Dog:

Dangerous Animal. An animal that has killed a human being inflicted injury on a human being that requires medical treatment, or killed a domestic animal without provocation with the following exceptions:

  1.  An animal that is provoked;
  2.  An animal that is serving as a guard for persons or property; or
  3.  An animal that kills or injures a person who is trespassing.

 Does animal control relocate wildlife?

Wildlife often tries to coexist with us, even in residential and urban areas. Often our housing and businesses encroach on areas that have been a habitat for groups of wild animals for years.

 Animal Control will respond to any wildlife call involving an animal that appears to be a public health risk. The level of risk will be determined by Animal Control and the caller. Officers are not authorized to trap healthy or non-threatening wildlife simply for relocation.

 Why relocation of wildlife is not recommended

 It is not an effective solution. If you remove one animal from your property another will come to take its place.

You will never succeed in eliminating wildlife from your property as long as you have a source of food or shelter. Fixing holes, capping chimneys, covering trash cans and removing pet food will eliminate wildlife much more effectively.

Trapping is indiscriminate – you may trap your neighbor’s cat or another animal unrelated to your nuisance problem.

It’s not fair. Where do we expect wildlife to exist? They are trying to adapt to life with us in their traditional environment, can’t we show a little tolerance?

It’s illegal in the off season! Although widely ignored, all forms of trapping are legally limited to designated hunting and trapping seasons which are designed to allow mothers to rear young without harassment.

It is highly stressful to be relocated. Most animals do not survive in unfamiliar territory. Resident animals will drive off the intruder or the animal will not know where to find food and shelter. A recent study shows more than 90% of relocated raccoons die within a short period of time.

Even Humane Traps can injure animals – or they can injure themselves trying to escape during the hours they are confined to traps.

Trapping out of fear is unfounded. Healthy wild animals have no interest in attacking you, your pets or your children. Their only reason for aggression is self-defense and their first choice is always to escape perceived danger.

With a little effort we can coexist with wildlife. If they inconvenience you try to remember their only motive is survival. They have no concept of property or damage.

Finally – when you trap and relocate someone’s mother might not come home! From early spring until late fall the chances are 50/50 that the animal you trap is a mother whose babies depend on her for survival. Taking a mother away condemns the babies to starvation and death.

 Does the City have an excessive feces code?

The city code states:

Keep the enclosure or tethered area where the animal is kept free from unsanitary conditions, vermin-harboring debris, junk, contaminated materials, chemicals dangerous to the health of the animal or any other dangerous items that may cause injury to the animal or in any other way endanger the health of the animal.

 My pet has died, how do I dispose of the body?

Deceased animals may be buried if you have an acceptable place available.  If this is not possible you can bring your deceased pet to the Humane Society for disposal.

 Can my dog ride in the open back of a pick-up?

Yes, it is currently lawful for the owner or custodian of a dog to allow such dog to ride in any motor vehicle or in any portion thereof that is open.  However, if the dog is injured from being transported in this manner, you can be cited for cruelty.  Additionally, if the dog bites someone while left in the back of the pickup and not in an enclosure, you can be cited for having your dog at large.

 Where do I pay a fine for an animal violation?

Court House

111 W. 1st Suite 1

How does Animal Control respond to calls?

Animal Control gives priority to situations that are involving the public health and safety of a person or a domestic pet. Loose aggressive dogs, bites, attacks, animals at large, injured or sick stray dogs or cats, possible cruelty situations, and dogs running in heavy traffic or schoolyards are responded to before nuisance concerns. Overall average response time for all types of calls is approximately 30 minutes.









Share This